- Heartwood a medium to fairly dark reddish brown to purplish brown; sapwood whitish or pale yellow, distinct.
- Sizes available:
- 4/4, 6/4, 8/4
- Mechanical Properties:
- Janka side hardness 1,020 lb. for green and 1,500 lb. for dry material. Shrinkage green to ovendry: radial 4.6%; tangential 7.4%; volumetric 14.0%.
- Working Properties:
- Works fairly well with hand and machine tools, tends to tear interlocked grain in planing, saws easily, finishes well, good gluing and nailing properties, satisfactory peeling and slicing.
- Heartwood is moderately durable, resistant to termite attack variable. Sapwood liable to powder-post beetle attack.
- Hardwood flooring, furniture and cabinetwork, decorative moldings, joinery, paneling.
The preceding information comes from “Tropical Timbers of the World”, United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Agriculture Handbook Number 607, September 1984. Martin Chudnoff, Forest Products Technologist (retired), Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, Wis.