- Heartwood dark golden yellow, turning a dark brown with exposure, often very variable in color when freshly machines showing blotches and streaks of various shades; sapwood pale yellowish, sharply demarcated.
- Sizes available:
- 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 10/4, 12/4, 16/4, 24/4
- range from 3″ and wider
- range from 3′ and longer
special order sizes available
- Mechanical Properties:
- Janka side hardness 1,000 to 1,155 for dry material. Shrinkage green to ovendry: radial 2.5%, tangential 5.8%; volumetric 7.0%
- Working Properties:
- Easily worked with both hand and machine tools.
- Heartwood is rated as very durable with respect to decay fungi.
- Shipbuilding, Hardwood flooring, Furniture, joinery, carving, cabinet work, paneling.
The preceding information comes from “Tropical Timbers of the World”, United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Agriculture Handbook Number 607, September 1984. Martin Chudnoff, Forest Products Technologist (retired), Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, Wis.